If you would like to work at one of the best schools in Turkey, here is your chance.
What basic requirments do you need?
- Teachers need a CELTA and a 4-year university degree.
- Unfortunately, preference is given to Turks and nationals of English-speaking countries. For nationals of other countries it is quite difficult to provide teachers with residence and work permits because of governmental restrictions. This does not mean that we don’t hire nationals from other countries. Just be aware of the difficulties and, by all means, send as your CV and we will see what we can do.
- You must be in Turkey and available for an in-person interview.
What qualities are we looking for in our teachers?
- First and foremost, our teachers should be enthusiastic and serious about teaching. We want teachers in our classrooms who enjoy being there and, in turn, make it enjoyable for the students. Anything that gets away from chalk and talk or boring book and drill work. The lessons should be fun and interesting. Conversation, drama, and songs are all highly encouraged in our classes.
- Teachers must also be willing to share. Our staff works together to help each other out. We also operate in online communities where the emphasis is on shared knowledge and community development.
- Teachers must be willing to develop themselves and their teaching. Many teachers come to us with only a CELTA or experience at other schools where no training or development workshops were given. We believe in lifelong learning. Just as we wouldn’t go to a doctor that wasn’t up-to-date on current medical practices, we don’t want teachers who aren’t interested in continuing their professional development. Our teachers are expected to attend 2-4 hours a month of training and development. Our teachers are also encouraged to attend other workshops and trainings offered around Istanbul, on the Internet, or elsewhere.
- Teachers must be reflective about their teaching. What am I doing in class? Did it work? Could I have done it better? Where did my students learn the most? Am I attentive to the needs of my learners? All these questions and more are things we should ask ourselves constantly. We ask our teachers to dedicate 1 hour a week to reflecting on their current practice.
- Teachers need to be learner-centered. The classroom should be a co-created environment where teacher and students work together to improve each other. We want our students and our staff to communicate and learn from each other. To this end, a lot of the power in the classroom and responsibility for learning is shifted over to our students.
What we offer:*
- Salaries range from 1900-2500 Turkish lira a month dependent upon experience and qualifications. This is an extremely good range for Istanbul.
- We will provide full-time teachers with a residency permit. We will also pay for your work permit provided that you stay 2 years or more. Work permits are quite difficult to obtain and take a minimum of 7 months and cost over 2000 lira, so it is not something we can offer to short-term teachers.
- Teachers teach up to a maximum of 30 hours a week. Workshops, trainings, and reflective time are included in the 30-hour week.
- Overtime is paid for anything over 30 hours and is paid at the teachers normal rate (determined by pay scale).
- Two weeks paid vacation although it could be more or less. This is dependent on the length of the contract.
- We provide support for all our teachers. There are numerous resources available at the school both for lesson planning and teacher development. Other teachers and management are also willing to help you whenever you need it.
- A chance to develop as a teacher.
- A chance to work at a school that is serious about education and treats its teachers, students, and staff with respect.
* All teachers are originally hired on a freelance basis and paid an hourly rate of 20-25 lira an hour. This is a probationary period to determine if we feel you are a good fit and for you to decide if you also feel you fit in. Once it’s determined that you are a good choice for the school and there is a position open for a full-time teacher, you will be offered a contract.
If you are interested in working with us, please send a copy of your CV to